Sunday, March 17, 2019

2019 Green Ultra 50 Miler

The Background

I had originally planned to end the winter season after Jackalope Jam.  After it went well there, I felt I still had a bit of running left in me before a break.  Then I noticed a race that would coincide with Spring Break - The Green Ultra at the Millican Reserve in College Station.  It was only $80 and a little over an hour away.  Most importantly, the class I teach on Saturdays at UHD would not be held, so I could run it.

I chose the 50 miler with an eye to next season.  Three weeks earlier, I had run 100k at Jackalope and when it was over it felt manageable - even though it was farther (by far!) than I had run in years.  I wanted to solidify that feeling that 50 miles to 100k is manageable. That way, I could go into next season, with the goal race being the Arkansas Traveller 100, mentally prepared - at least as much as possible.

The Course

I had no idea what to expect from this course.  It turned out to be muddy, twisty bike trails.  I had done little trail running this season: training on the roads, two road marathons, and Jackalope Jam, which was on a smooth, one-mile out-and-back trail.  So the terrain was a factor.

Because of the muddy conditions, the race organizers change the course to a short out-and-back followed by three 25k loops.

The Race

There is always slight nervousness running a race for the first time, for me especially about getting lost.  The course was well-marked thankfully.

I chugged along at an even pace, slowed of course by the mud.  I hit a low at the end of the second loop, about 50k in.  After running most of the way to that point, I walked the last section of the loop, saving up for a final push.

Turning on my music and setting my GPS watch (which only has about 4 hours battery life), I came back to life.  I played the game of make it through one song, make it another mile.  3 miles clicked off quickly.  I began struggling a bit, but ran to mile 5 of the loop (40 miles in) before a mile or so walk break.  Then I ran to mile 11 of the loop (about 46 miles in).  I took another mile walk break then ran in the last three (with a couple short walks thrown in).  Another race done.


Along the Course




Approaching the finish


 Reflections

I ran most of the race - always a benchmark for me for a good performance. I've slowed a bit now that I've hit my forties; in my 30s, this might have taken 11 hours and change instead of the 12:22.  But that's just fine.  I'm still alive and running.

I think I accomplished my goal quite well - 50 miles was tough but not mental agony.  Now I can look at the Traveller and say ok, take it easy to 50 or 100k, then take it from there.

This was a good season.  I finished all my races.  I had fun.  I didn't over race.

Now it is time to rest up - then start it up again at Muleshoe Bend in July.

No comments:

Post a Comment