Sunday, June 7, 2020

2020 Unicorn Challenge Virtual 50k

The Background

On Friday, I was all set to attempt the Blazing 7s 100 miler.  Then I saw my watch was not charged.  I had hooked it up to charge it but I guess the wire was not connected properly.

Seeing that it would take 3 hours to charge it, I decided to run the Unicorn Challenge 50k to complete the Rising Phoenix.  But my head was all messed up from the watch issue and I stopped after 11 miles.

My kids were coming over Sunday so I could not take another shot at the 100 miler on Saturday, but I went for the Unicorn.

The Race

Trying  to beat as much of the heat as I could, I started off before 5am on the 1.9 mile loop neighborhood course.

I was a bit mentally tired and started rationalizing walking early...it was the last race of the series, it would be rest for the 100 miler, etc.  But I ran to 20.  I also had fleeting thoughts of just doing a marathon, but I wanted to get the Rising Phoenix series done.

After 20, it was hot and I was tired.  I walked to 25 then ran one loop.  Walked another, leaving one more to go.  Last loop the heat and fatigue left me running in spurts to the finish.





Reflections

I finished the Rising Phoenix series...can't wait to get that belt buckle.  Times were fairly consistent for the series, 6 or 7 hours.

The heat was a issue.  Forecast says it won't let up any time soon.  I think I'm going to try to find a loop with some shade.

I was in 2nd on the leaderboard with 460 milers.

Well, Blazing 7s 100 miler and Possum's Revenge 69 miler are left...


No comments:

Post a Comment