Sunday, March 8, 2020

2020 Woodlands Marathon

The Background

I secured a new job which gave me a new lease on life.  It was time to start running again!

I signed up for the Woodlands Marathon about two weeks before the race.  I had always wanted to run it since it is in my hometown; I had always either been in the offseason or had conflicts.  This was the perfect time.

The spur-of-the-moment decision did not give me time to train.  I had been working long hours with my night classes at the University of Houston and UHD, and busy with the new job at Klein.  Just able to squeeze in a few three mile runs here and there, this marathon would be pretty much off the couch.

I did a 20 miler on Spring Creek Trail, running about 9 miles and hiking the rest.  This was all the training I could manage.

The Race

I headed out at a 4 hour marathon pace, knowing I would probably not be able to keep it up but hey, why not try.  At about 7 miles, I fell off the pace.  At ten, my legs were shattered.  I pushed on to the half marathon point.

Running 11 or 12 minutes a mile, legs dead, my mind stayed focused.  At one point, eyes half closed, I sang "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd and "Desolation Row" by Bob Dylan along with my MP3 player.

A goal was to run the whole thing.  Apart from USA Fit 2011 (my first), I had never walked significantly in a road marathon.  I know the run/walk strategy can be effective but I wanted to run it.  at mile 20, I took a short walk break, but then "Elevator" by Strangefolk came on and I decided I could run that long song.

My kids were waiting for me at mile 23.  I made it a goal to keep running to them.  Mile 23 was a special moment.




Mile 23

At mile 24, I took a longer walk break, maybe .6 of a mile to get to the bridge over Lake Woodlands.  then I ran it in.  I knew that at this 13 minute-a-mile shuffle, I'd be cutting it close to make it under 5 hours, another goal.  I crossed the line in 4:56.



Reflections

This was a good race at a good time in my life.  I'm healthy with a good job.  I kept my mind focused, ran the whole way (with a couple of minor walk breaks), and finished under 5 hours.

This race also marked 10 straight years with a marathon finish.

I'd still like to properly train for a road marathon at some point and hopefully break 4 hours again.

I'm excited about running again.  I'm going to try to schedule 1 or 2 races before the summer - maybe Brazos Bend and/or Wildflower.  Then it will be Capt'n Karls of course.

If it all works out, maybe the Badger 100 in Wisconsin....

No comments:

Post a Comment