Sunday, February 6, 2022

2022 Rocky Raccoon 100k

The Background

I was excited about the Tejas 300.  I had finished the Cactus Rose 100 Mile and Bandera 100k, leaving Rocky Raccoon 100k.

Originally, I had signed up for the 100 mile, but some slow finishing times led me to switch to the 100k to avoid fighting the cutoffs.

A winter storm hit the US.  No rain or snow in Huntsville, but low temperatures would be in the 20s.  Plus, I had a cold.

Terri was able to come and stay for the first loop, which was great.

The Race

After a 2-mile short loop, there would be 3 20-mile loops.   I kept a good pace the first 10 miles, running 10 to 12-minute miles.  I slowed a bit from miles 10 to 20, then hit a low point.  I had been blowing my nose and coughing, and probably got behind on my calories, and began to move very slowly.

I saw Terri at 22 miles and she encouraged me.

Able to rebound a bit, I pressed on, but hit another low at 26 miles before the turnaround for that section.  Then I ran a bit and snapped out of it.  I chatted with a fellow who had finished a marathon on each continent and another looking to finish his first 100k.

Hitting another low around mile 36, I really wanted to quit.  I thought if I was staggering around at a slow pace at night when the temperature would drop to 30, that would be miserable.  

I felt a bit better by the final loop, 42 miles in.  Even thought I had many hours before the cutoff, I avoided taking a rest in my car, just grabbing extra layers of clothes for the night.  I kept going and was able to rebound.  I continued running.

By mile 50, I couldn't run anymore, but I was able to powerhike at a 16 or 17-minute pace.  Which was great as I could generate heat through the night.  I did run short bursts at times.

I chased headlamps, always a good sign.  There was one guy behind me for miles and I ended up finishing right in front of him.





Reflections

I was so happy to finish the Tejas 300, a goal going back to 2013.  2013-2014 I DNFed Cactus but finished Bandera and Rocky; 2014-2015 I finished Cactus but DNFed Bandera and Rocky. 2015 to 2017 I was barely running, finishing only a handful of races, and 2018-2020 was trying to finish a 100 miler again. COVID wiped out a year of live racing.

But now I finished the Tejas 300.  

I really felt like quitting, but made it through, which always feels good.

I was really happy at my powerhiking pace.  A lot of races I had told myself I'd powerhike at a 17 minute pace late in the race; here, I did it.

I learned that extreme cold is manageable if I can keep moving and generate heat.

At this pace, I could have finished the 100 miler.  It would have been close, but possible.   With better training (running 20 mile training runs), I think I'd have a shot. Maybe next year.

I will run the J&J 101 Miler to try to add to the mile total for the Tejas 300 in the standings...

No comments:

Post a Comment