Sunday, September 21, 2014

2014 Rough Creek 40 Miler

2014 Rough Creek 40 Miler

The Background

After DNFing at Bighorn 100, I took some time off then ran some lower key races, the Magnolia Hills 21k and the six hour Fatasstic Challenge in the Ho, where I did around 25 miles.  I felt I was rolling pretty well, then I rolled my ankle on a training run.  At first I just kept running but then decided take time off until the pain went away, which totaled eight days. 

All of the sudden Cactus Rose 100 was a few weeks away and I had little confidence in my endurance.  I would use Rough Creek 40 miler as a training race, but I wasn't even sure I was fit enough for that.  The two weekends preceding Rough creek I ran 20 mile trail runs.  The first was a slog; the second I felt great, cruising at a 10 minute mile pace the whole way.

Still heading into Rough Creek, I was a bit anxious.  This was my first ultra finish in 2012 and I went back in 2013 where it was 96 degrees with no cloud or tree cover.  I became seriously dehydrated that day and I packed two bottles for this year's race.

The Course

The course is ten miles of runnable double and single track and three miles of the Rusty Crown, short steep, rocky hills that go up and down seemingly endlessly. You hit half of the crown out on the way to a loop called The Bowl which features a couple gentle climbs in and out.  On the way back is the toughest part of the Crown, with my favorite climb called The Beast, which is so steep it requires clawing up with your hands.

 
 
 
The Beast from 2013
 
 
This year the wild flowers were especially beautiful, blooming purple, yellow and red.
 

The Race

As I stood in line for the restroom before the race, I noticed that six of the seven guys six had beards, including myself this year.  Definitely it's become the ultrarunner fashion.

As we headed out, clouds covered the sun.  It was humid, but not really that hot.  I thanked the weather gods and tried to keep an even pace.

I really do love the Rusty Crown and look forward to running it each year.  As I hit it the first time, I began charging the climbs and bombing the downs.  Reminding myself that this is another way of going out to fast, I slowed my pace a bit.

All throughout the first two loops, taking me to the marathon distance, I kept repeating to myself, "Hold back a bit.  Hold back a bit."  I wanted to hit the last loop feeling strong and I cruised steadily on, feeling fine up to this point.  Making short work of the aid stations, drinking and eating on pace, I felt super as I began the final loop.

Then the sun came out.  The glare of the heat and my lack of long runs before the race suddenly teamed up and I was a wreck.  Hiking most of the way to the Bowl aid station, I hoped to rally for a final push.  I ran most of the way back to the Rusty Crown, but by the time I hit the hills I was a zombie.  I staggered up and down and the sun beat down, wanting nothing more than to rest under the shade.  Knowing that if I sat my legs might lock up, I kept pushing on.  It seemed like the last descent would never come but finally I shuffled down to the aid station.

It was 2.75 miles to the finish.  Every ultra I've ever run, I've always run in the last two miles.  This time I ran / walked it. My wife and kids were waiting for me right before the finish line and the kids ran with me the last steps.  My daughter Paloma fell behind so I stopped and took her hand and jogged to the line.  As down as I was during the last lap, that moment made it all worth it.


Reflections

As I hit the major low during the last loop, I wondered if I really can make it through Cactus Rose 100.  I'm going to make an attempt regardless.  I think I'll do one all night run to mentally prepare myself for the darkness and sleep deprivation.

The first year I ran Rough Creek, I ran it in 8:36.  I think that was a combination of good weather and inexperience as an ultrarunner making me fearless.  The second year was a heat year and I ran 10:32.  This year's 10:14 is by no means a stellar performance.  But as always there is the rewarding feeling that comes when everything falls apart, you suffer, and yet you finish.

Rough Creek is one of my favorite races.  The distance is not a challenge for most ultrarunners, but the combination of the Rusty Crown and the heat of the last two years make this a tough and rewarding journey.  Thanks to David, Endurance Buzz Adventure, and all the volunteers for putting on a great race.





No comments:

Post a Comment