Monday, February 27, 2023

2023 Galveston Marathon

I was riding high after a sub-5 hour finish at the USA Fit Marathon and a 100-mile finish at Jackalope Jam.  Next up was Galveston Marathon, and I hoped to lower my marathon time.

The Race

I made the rookie mistake of going out too fast.  Sub-10-minute miles felt fine up to half marathon.  But by mile 15, I was dead.

Here is where my friends Jamie and Luke helped me.  Had I no accountability, I might have just walked the last ten miles or so and finished 6 hours+.  But inspired by my training partners, I pushed on.  I did take some walk breaks but never more than a mile.  

One of my nip-ease covers fell off, probably because my cotton shirt was drenched.  As much as I hate it, I think I have to switch back to tech racing shirts.  Anyway, since the shirt was bloody and it was hot, I trashed the shirt and got sunburned.

I kept working hard.  In the final miles, I chatted with a runner who had finished 146 marathons, who inspired me.

If I had worked even harder, I could have kept it sub-5, but it was tough work anyway to finish in 5:09.

Reflections

Obviously, for Woodlands Marathon next week, I need to slow down in the first half and run between 10:30 - 10:50 minutes per mile, like I did at USA Fit.  I want to have a good race for my last of the season.  

If I want to lower my marathon time next season, I need to devote time to speedwork.

Still, I am proud of this one. Sometimes the best races are ones where things go wrong but you keep fighting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment