Sunday, December 4, 2022

2022 Brazos Bend Marathon

The Background

I was feeling low about running after multiple DNFs.  I got a drop-down finish of 50 miles (credited) at the Cactus Rose 100.  Work was dragging me down. With Brazos Bend Marathon coming up, I couldn't motivate myself to train properly, only running short runs.

A good thing was that James and Terri would come to see me at the race.

The Race

After catching the shuttle to the start, I started off running 10 or a 11 minute miles.  I began hiking at about mile 6, but I was able to maintain a good pace of sub-15 minute miles for many of them.  I ran some off and on after that but it was mostly fast hiking.

Along the way there were alligators!




This shows how close the gators were!

Rob drove by and the van and honked and waved to to me.

I pushed on to the finish, never going into a major low.






Reflections

I think I want to focus on more marathons.  They are a challenge, and I can finish in a day and celebrate.  I signed up for the Texas Marathon in Kingwood on January 1.  It will also be good training for Bander 100k.

Of course, I need to train  more if I want to do better than a 6 hour marathon.

I proved on smooth terrain, I can powerhike sub-15 minute miles.

It was great to have family there at the race.  I'm proud I pushed hard with them waiting there for me.





No comments:

Post a Comment