Sunday, November 19, 2023

2023 Wild Hare 50 Mile

The Background

I DNFed at Cactus Rose 100, not having any mental energy left after the Arkansas Traveller 100 earlier in the month and a busy work week. Lesson learned: I need to be mentally dialed in for a 100 miler and should probably space them well apart in the calendar.

Back to training, Jamie and I ran a long run two weeks out from the Wild Hare 50 miler.  I did 21 miles, and Jamie did 26.  That, combined with 27 miles I ran at Cactus Rose, meant I was well enough trained for Wild Hare.

I flew to San Diego for a work trip and ran to the Pacific Ocean on Wednesday afternoon, 9 miles.  It was overcast, but at least I saw it.  

I did not get home until around 10pm Friday, then had to get up at 3:20am to drive to Warda for the race. 

The Race

At the start

It was perfect cool weather for the race. Jamie and I started off running at 11 or 12-minute miles.  The first loop was longer, 11.3 miles, with a repeat of the first section.  Then the regular loop was 7.8 miles, with 3.5 to the midway aid station and 4.3 back to the start.  These were bike trails, with a few twists and turns, and the second section featured a big paved drop, which I had fun bombing down.

Jamie's wife and two of his kids came and cheered us on at the aid stations, which was great motivation.

By the time we approached the end of the second loop, I felt a bit tired, and Jamie pulled ahead a bit.  But I recovered after the aid and we stayed together.

On the third loop, I knew I needed some extra time at the aid station coming up, so I told Jamie I would meet him back at the start and ran ahead.  

As Jamie and I headed out on the 4th loop, a marathon in, we were in good shape.  Some time later, looking at my watch, I saw that we could hit 50k in under 7 hours, so we made that a goal.  We made it in 6:58, but my GPS was a mile short, so our actual 50k time was faster.

 33 miles in

A bit further down the trail

Along the way, I said hi to Agatha, a great runner who I have met at many races.  She ended up finishing 2nd female overall for the 50k.  Congratulations, Agatha!

Heading out on the 5th loop, 34 miles in, my watch told me that a sub-12-hour finish was possible.  This was quite heartening since we had only hoped for a 13-hour finish at best.

We had been running consistently throughout the race, and moving forward we kept it up, while trying to take care of ourselves with powerhiking breaks.  We ran from mile 35 to 37, and some more around mile 40, then finished up the loop. 

Starting the final loop at 42.5 miles in, we ran 1.5 miles.  Making it to the final aid station, we ran about half of the last 4.3 miles, including the last mile.  

Now dusk, with finish close, we knew we wouldn't need our headlamps, though we had anticipated running a couple hours at night. We had been passing people now and then, and caught one more guy with a quarter mile to go.

We finished in 11:22, 12th and 13th out of 33 finishers and 40 starters.

Finish 


Reflections

This was a great race.  Jamie and I moved steadily throughout, and never hit a major low.  Finishing in the top half of the field feels great.  Also, I finished my first 50 miler at the 2012 Cactus Rose in 11:36...nice to know I still can run at that pace!  

The weather was great, which definitely helped us.  

As always, I am amazed how tough and focused Jamie is.  Such a great first 50 mile performance! I am very grateful to have such a good friend to run with. Thanks to God, Tejas Trails, PJ, the volunteers, Jamie and his family, Terri, and my kids for all the support!


No comments:

Post a Comment