Wednesday, March 18, 2020

2020 Green Ultra 50k

The Background

I felt pretty good about finishing an off-the-couch Woodlands Marathon.

Then the coronavirus hit.  Work would be shut down, as would a race I had planned to run, the Abby's Alliance 5k to benefit a friend's family.  I'd be sitting around with time on my hands, so I signed up for the Green Ultra at Millican 50k.  I had a good experience running the 50 miler a year ago.  Plus it was inexpensive, an hour and a half away from home, and most importantly still open!

The Race

For the first few miles, I averaged 12 minutes a mile.  Then I started to really slow.  My GPS has been acting funny, but I'm sure I really was slow.  I made it a goal to run the first loop of 15 miles.

The second loop, I ran some and walked some.  I remembered that this race gave age group awards and since it is so small I might get one. I saw a guy behind me roughly my age...no idea whether he was running my race or in his 40s.  Regardless, it gave me a bit of motivation to move.  I ran a couple of miles, then walked some...finished the race running off and on.  It got a bit hot the second half.

Also, I knew I was close to 9 hours. I ran and made it in in 8:56.




I got first in my age group.  But I was the only one in my age group I later found out.

Reflections

Right now I am really slow.  I haven't properly trained but now I have two long runs in.  I also need to work on powerwalking as I was over 20 minutes a mile walking...at least by my GPS.

After the race, the world went crazy with the virus.  My main job is shut down for four weeks.  No races.  I'm going to run the Brazos Bend 50k and Coyote Run 50k virtually to keep moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment