Sunday, September 15, 2019

2019 Colorado Crossing 50k

The Background

I had a tough race at Alamo City Ultra 50k.  Wanting to go into Arkansas 100 on a better note,  I signed up for the Colorado Crossing 50k.  I'd be able to get in one more training run before Arkansas. Plus, this would be the last year TROT would put on the race.  Colorado Crossing features river crossings on boats, so this seemed like an adventure not to miss.

The Race

I could not take off work, so I ended up going to sleep early, then getting up at 1 am and driving to the Schaffer Bend Recreation Area.

The first 3 miles feature some fun hills.  Then at about 4 miles you get to the first river crossing.  I didn't know quite what to expect, but there was a line of runners waiting with life jackets on.  It took a few minutes for a boat to arrive.  About 6 or 8 got in and we all paddled across, with a volunteer steering us.  It seemed about a football field to get to the other side.  I really enjoyed it.  I remember I got it into ultrarunning because it seemed like an adventure out of The Lord of the Rings...this was like crossing the Anduin!

On the other side of the river were about 3 miles of fast, flat trails.  Then you cross the river again at the same spot.  These river crossings were nice forced breaks that kept me feeling fresh.

After the 2nd river crossing it was a mile and a half back to the start.  The loop was listed at 10 miles, but it might have been a bit shorter than that.  So this would be well below 31 miles.  But that was totally fine with me.

On the second loop, I was still feeling good.  I wanted to prove my fitness, so I made it a point to continuously run to 20 miles, minus hiking hills. 

At the end of the second loop, it got hot.  I've learned heat really drains me in a race but I fought against blowing up.  I walked bits but mostly ran the last loop.

On the last crossing, I was in a canoe with another 50k runner who would be finishing.  And there was another boat that landed the same time with about four runners..who knows if they were 50k or 50 miles.  Regardless, I decided to race.  I left the group of four behind but the 50k runner kept pace with me.  I pushed and left him behind.  So many races when I was running it in the last mile or two, I wouldn't have it in me to keep up with a runner who'd leave me behind.  It felt good to have that strength at the end.

At Alamo, Rob and I had joked that I always look bad when I am running.  At the finish he joked, "There's our worst looking finisher, every race!"  I love it...that's my badge of honor.

I finished in 6:49, 18th out of 47 finishers (top 38%)  and 48 starters (top 37.5%).  This was a good performance for me.





Reflections

Colorado Crossing was a super fun race: hills, flats, boats.  I'm so glad I got to run it before it was discontinued.  I like having a medal that you can't get anymore.

The finish in the top half of the field lifted my spirits and gives me confidence.  Now it is 3 weeks until Arkansas.  I feel fairly fit.  I am going to give it my all and not give up.  I just need to keep moving...18 minutes a mile.

Let's see what happens!




No comments:

Post a Comment