Thursday, May 7, 2020

2020 Mystery Virtual 50k

The Background

I got it in my head that it would be cool to run a 50k after work.  This was Monday, two days after the Sweaty Yeti 50k.  After my last zoom meeting I headed out on my 1.9 mile neighborhood loop.

The Race

I felt good in the early miles.  It was hot but I enjoyed sweating, imagining for some reason I was running in the 1970s in California.

Then heat got to me.  Starting to think this was a bad idea to run after work, I took a walk break in miles 11 and 12.  I recovered and ran until a short walk break at mile 18.

I had been taking 3 mile walk breaks at mile 20 in previous races and did start one of these.  But after maybe half a mile "Touch of Grey" came on my MP3 player and I started running.  I ran all the way to marathon.

This was good because I had been debating whether I should run the Mystery 50k or the marathon - I had registered for the latter that morning along with the Fit'Ness Taco.  It felt wrong somehow to run the latter without the packet...plus I would not be able to sit next to the medal afterwards.  Since I made to marathon strong, 50k would be just a walk break then run it in.

I walked a little under three miles, then I notice I had a shot at getting in under 7 hours.  At 6:34 with 2.1 miles to go, sub 13-miles would do it.  Starting to run, I found I could do 12 to 11-minute miles to "Purple Rain."  I ran it in and made it in 6:58:26.




Reflections

This showed running a race after work is possible.  I was slow in the early miles but running miles 20.5-26.2 was pretty good.  I still had leg speed (relatively given my slow pace in my 40s) at 50k.

To be honest, a big motivation for running this day was the TROT Virtual Races Leaderboard.  I had been 2 miles behind the leader.  But the next day the former leader took it back with the Fit'Ness Taco 50k.  So I'm still 2 miles behind but otherwise I'd have been 33 miles back.

I'm trying not to let pride rule me.  I need to run my own races.  Whatever happens happens and it's just fun to compete.

The weather should be good Saturday so I need to try for one of the long runs I'm signed up for - Brazos Bend 100k or Possum's Revenge 69 mile.  The former has a 16-hour time limit so if I make it in that I'll choose it.

This is the most marathons / ultras I've completed in a year - 10.  And it's been 2 months of running!  So far my legs and ankles feel good.





No comments:

Post a Comment