Sunday, August 25, 2024

2024 Habanero 50k

The Background

I had run 3 marathons and 2 60ks this season, all pretty slowly. For Habanero, Jamie, Doug, Joe and I did a 7ish-mile noon run at WG Jones to get in a little heat training.

Jamie and I would run Habanero 50k.  Terri had a family party to go to, so I arranged to meet Jamie at an Olive Garden parking lot on Kuykendahl and 99 that was on the way. But Terri would come to the finish.  Luke met us at the start, which was great.

The Race

Early in the race, the heat hit hard.  It was high of 97, which was not as hot as possible, but still hot.  My vision was blurry, my face felt like it swelled, and the trail shimmered.  Later on, I had to loosen my watch because my hands were swelling.

I drank two bottles of gatorade every 3 miles, and filled up on ice in the back of the pack and buff.  Apart from one cup of coke at the last aid station, the gatorade was my only fuel.  But my energy level never dipped.

I quickly let Jamie go ahead of me.  After a couple of miles of running, I settled in to mostly powerhiking with scattered bits of running.  The good thing was that my hiking pace was very fast for me, 15 to 16-minute pace, even on the slow trail of sand and grass.

By loop 3, I ran even less, as when I ran it was for short bursts and then my powerhiking pace slowed.  I felt I was making better time fast hiking than run/walk.  Plus, I wanted to take care of myself to get through this thing.

A fellow named Carlos was running the 100 miler and we kept the same pace for miles and miles.

By the end of the 4th loop, I saw Jamie's wife Carrie and his kids.  It was great to see them!  I asked how far ahead Jamie was, and Carrie said 20 or 25 minutes. This lifted my spirits, as I worried I might be an hour plus back, and they would wait for me a long time at the finish.

On the 5th loop, I ran a bit more.  It had been cooler for a while.  Some people were passing me, which motivated me to run some sections.  But I had difficulty chasing anyone down, which I normally try to do.  I had developed a blister on my left foot, but it was not a significant factor.

By the end of the race, Terri was waiting for me along with with Jamie and his family.

My pace was very consistent:

Loop 1: 1:29:56

Loop 2: 1:38:13

Loop 3: 1:43:00

Loop 4: 1:44:29

Loop 5: 1:39:46

Finish 8:15:24

Jamie ran so well, finishing in 7:41.






Reflections

Jamie was 10th out of 46 finishers, and I was 16th out of 46 finishers (top 35%).  When I finished, I felt like I was in the back of the pack.  After several races actually finishing in the back of the pack, being in the top half of the field feels great.

I could have put in harder effort on loops 3 and 4, running a bit more, instead of playing it safe, and got in under 8 hours.  But I was very pleased with my fast hiking pace.  If I can keep that for Arkansas, it would help. 

Thanks to God, Trail Racing Over Texas, the volunteers, Luke, Jamie and his family, my friends, Terri, James, Paloma, and all my extended family for the support!

No comments:

Post a Comment