Sunday, May 27, 2018

2018 Possum's Revenge 56K

The Background

After a healthy training block starting late February and a successful, if poorly paced, running of the Wildflower Marathon, I was ready to run the Possum's Revenge 56k two weeks later.  This would be the second training race of the summer leading up to the Bear 100 in September.

Terri couldn't come with me because of a family illness, so I drove up to the DFW area solo after work.  The drive was relaxing and I checked into a hotel in Mineral Springs.

The Course

Trail Racing Over Texas took over the Possum's Kingdom race from Endurance Buzz Adventures.  I had never run this one but it's supposed to be the same course.  For the 56k it's two loops, which I like because going out on a third or fourth loop adds a mental challenge.  The first four miles are a bit sandy and the rest features rocky, up and down terrain with some decent climbs.  Beautiful views of Possum Kingdom Lake, cacti and wildflowers make this course a gem.


=
Pre-race view of the lake
The Race

After blowing up at Wildflower, I took off at a conservative pace.  At around ten-twelve miles or so I got off course with a group of four or five runners and lost fifteen minutes or so. The course was well marked but there was a lot of two-way traffic so I worried a lot about going the right way.  After this detour, I just followed the signs and it was fine.

I felt good through the first loop, getting a little tired around the last couple miles of loop one.  I ran with an older gentleman whose son was running the race as well for many miles; he inspired me!  I want to be in my 60s still running.

Starting loop two, I felt strong and ran at a decent pace.  Throughout loop two, I passed a few folks here and there, which is always confidence boosting.  Granted, many of those were probably running the 52 miler, but still it was a big change from my 2016 and 2017 races of constantly being passed.

At the marathon distance I started slowing.  It was 90 degrees and while there was shade and the heat was never oppressive, this combined with the miles added up.  I still kept up a fair pace and split running and hiking.

With around three miles to go I caught up with a 52 miler who was having a bit of a hard time and we chatted a bit.  Then a couple of 56k runners started creeping up behind.  One thing I love about ultras is the balance between supporting one another and competitiveness.  We will stop and help each other and most are not in their own little world like in road marathons.  Nevertheless, it feels good to give one's best and compete with those around us.  I started running, trying to give a decent effort to not get passed in the last two miles.  I even passed another 56k runner in the home stretch. Again, I'm a middle of the pack runner at best and my place doesn't matter that much but I felt good about giving it what I had on the day.




Approaching the finish line



Reflections

I finished in 8:24, 30th out 55 finishers (bottom 54%) of 66 starters (top 45%).  Even though this was a longer, tougher, and hotter race (and I lost time by going off course), I ran this 51 minutes faster than the Isle Du Bois 55k in December.  Granted, I had a cold the previous race, but overall fitness-wise I feel way better.  Progress!

I felt a profound sense of peace after finishing this race, relaxing in the hotel room and driving back.  Finishing an ultra plus living healthy is beautiful.

My training is going well.  I had a nice four week block of twenty mile training runs building up to Wildflower.  I ran a twenty miler the week in between the two races so now I have a another good three week block.  I'll take an easy week then build up to the start of the Captain Karl's 60k series.  The heart of my training for the Bear, this will be four 60k night races three weeks apart each in the Austin hill country.  In between the third and fourth races I'll run the Habanero 100k for my long prep race.

Also, I'll be heading to San Antonio for a board meeting in a couple of weeks and I'll go to Bandera for some hill work and camping.

Lots to look forward to!  Thanks to Rob and Cheryl, Trail Running Over Texas, and all the volunteers for putting on a great race!  I'd run this one again.

Additionally, this was my 30th career marathon / ultra.  This is the seventh straight calendar year I've finished an ultra dating back to 2012.  I want to keep the streak going!

No comments:

Post a Comment