Saturday, April 11, 2020

2020 Colorado Crossing Virtual 50k

The Background

The spring racing season was going well.  I was racing a ton, nearly every week, due to trying to stay motivated during the coronavirus.  I'd been lowering my 50k time each race.

I want to run a 100 miler and suddenly I realized that waiting to June for the Blazing 7s Virtual 100 Miler would guarantee high 80s temps. The heat might counteract any benefits for more training, plus I might get burned out.

So I adjusted my schedule.  Thinking I needed one more 50k as a training run, I'd run the Colorado Crossing 6 days after Brazos Bend.

Also, they began shutting parks down for Easter weekend due to the coronavirus.  Thinking about being responsible, and that I could just set up an aid station on my lawn for the 100, I decided to run a 1.9 mile loop in my neighborhood.

I had originally wanted to hop in a kayak on Lake Woodlands after the race, in keeping with the Colorado Crossing race with boat crossings, but that would be ridiculous given the circumstances of the world.

The Race

Running on the pavement was of course faster.  I was clicking off 10-minute miles for a while.

Again, I started to get tired at mile 20, which I'm sure was half physical, half mental.  I walked 3 miles.  When walking, I was managing a 17 minute pace - not ideal.  Maybe I was tired.

I ran again at 23 miles for two more loops.  Walking from 27-29, I then ran the last loop.


I love having an aid station table!




Reflections

The neighborhood course seems like it will work for the 100-miler.

I improved my time by 15 minutes, but this was pavement so it's probably about the same as last time.  But still the time was good.

If I could run this 50k, I'd have a 2+ hour cushion, based on an 18 minute pace for the 100 miler.  I'd love to be doing 16 minute miles hiking.  Maybe if I get competitive.  We'll see. Regardless, if I can keep hiking 18 minute miles after 50k, I'd have a cushion if I fall apart in the night.  Each mile under 18 would build the cushion.

I'm also signed up for the Crazy Desert 100k so if it all goes wrong I could at least finish that.

I'm going to see what the weather is like the next two weekends and take a shot at it.

I've also been tracking, via a great website a runner put together, the total miles for TROT virtual races.  After this race I'll be close to the front and I think I can be competitive.  It's fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment