Monday, May 6, 2024

2024 Wildflower Marathon

The Background

I was devastated after the DNF at Rocky Raccoon.  After a great season, to end on a let down was tough.  I took time off - 5 weeks no running and mentally avoiding thinking about races.  By spring break, I started running again.

The first race of the season was to be the Hachie Marathon. Terri and I drove up to the race in a storm.  I kept a sub-5 hour pace to mile 17, then the race organizers stopped the race.

Well, I had Wildflower Marathon scheduled anyway for two weeks later, and I tried to view the miles at Hachie as a good training run.

Terri and I got up early and drove to Bastrop, again in a storm.  I suggested we turn back since I didn't want us to be stranded, but Terri (thankfully) said we should try to press on.  Luckily, the weather cleared up by the time we got there, and we didn't get rained on.

The Race

The race started with a long loop to the lake, 2 medium loops, and 1 short loop.

I kept a 10 or 11-minute pace through mile 12.  Feeling a bit low, I hiked to half marathon, then ran to 15.5.  

At that point, I was on the second loop, and there was sign "2.5 miles to finish."  Doing the math, I realized the course would be long, probably 29 miles.  Checking with other runners confirmed it wasn't just my GPS; the course was long.   I reminded myself trail racing is never exact mileage.

My motivation plummeted. I wasn't mentally prepared for 29 miles.  I switched over to powerhiking for the rest of the race, telling myself it was training for the Arkansas Traveller 100. Doing some calculations, I knew I would have to move to beat the 8-hour cutoff.  I knocked out some 17-minute miles, finishing in 7:34.  Weather was a bit hot at the end.





Reflections

If I had kept my cool and kept running, I would have finished in the top half of the field.  I am grateful just for the finish, though.

Well, the advantage of starting off the season with a very slow marathon is there is room for improvement!  I signed up for the Texas Switchback marathon the following weekend to make up for the Hachie Marathon, as I am trying to reach 100 marathons/ultras by the Mohican Marathon in June.


No comments:

Post a Comment