Tuesday, October 10, 2023

2023 Arkansas Traveller 100

The Background

This year, I tuned into the livecast of the Western States 100.  The announcers cheered on a man trying to make the finish by the cutoff.  This planted the seed of me trying to get a Western States qualifier.

Running 5-6 times a week 4 or 5 miles minimum had brought me a better level of fitness than in the last few years. The new job at UHD and training with friends strengthened my mental outlook.  I improved my pace between Muleshoe Bend 60k and Trailway 50k, the latter being 1 week before the Arkansas Traveller 100.

I severely watched my budget because of a gap in pay before the new job and some unexpected bills. So when my mind returned to getting a Western States qualifier, at first I thought it was off the table purely for the cost.  But the thought wouldn't go away.  I reasoned the Arkansas Traveller 100 could be done just by paying for the gas and entry fee if I camped.  Everything was against me signing up:  the cost, the fact that I would have to make a 30 hour cutoff, something I had only accomplished once at Rocky Raccoon 2014, the elevation gain.

But the thought of a Western States qualifier won, and I decided to take a gamble. I figured if I went in with the attitude that I am not sure I can do this, but I am going to try anyway, I could be stopped for not making the cutoffs if it happened with a clean conscience.  My running pace, 10 or 11-minute miles running and 16-minute miles powerhiking, suggested a finish was possible.

Another motivating factor was the 2019 DNF at Arkansas.  That was a troubled time in my life and the DNF did not help.  Thanks to God life got better, and going back would be a chance at redemption.

You can't do hill training in Houston, but I did do a few minutes of stair repeats during lunch breaks at UHD.   The Trailway would be the last training run, and I did 50k in 7:38.  If I did that at Arkansas, I would have banked 2+ hours off the 18-minute pace for a 30-hour finish.  Of course, Arkansas is a tougher course than Trailway.  But the Trailway was hot, and the weather forecast for Arkansas was high of 70. 

Luckily, by the time the race came my finances got better after my first check from the new job.  As such, I booked a hotel for after the race. I had to work the morning of the day before the race until noon, so I would have to drive straight through at arrive after dark.  I camped at the race the night before and got about 5 and a half hours of sleep.  Even though I gave myself over an hour before the race, fumbling around with gear, I still was rushed getting to the starting line on time.  I couldn't find my bucket hat, so I bought one at the race merchandise shop.

Race Morning

The Race

I headed out at a 10 or 11-minute pace in the crisp, cool air.  Reaching the Ouachita trail 8.6 miles in, I felt strong.  Last time that trail beat me down and people were passing me; this time I cruised along the singletrack.

On the Ouachita Trail

Returning to the fireroads after Lake Sylvia aid station, I went up the big hill, moving steadily.  At this point, I was still running the flats and downhills, and hiking the uphills.

Along the Trail

As I approached the Electronic Tower, I got dizzy and weak.  My pace slowed to a stagger.  Arriving at the aid station at 24 miles in, I sat in a chair and ate some food.  A volunteer had been alerted to my state by another runner and asked how I was doing.  I didn't sit too long and got moving.

I recovered and kept running, reaching Lake Winona mile 30.9 in 7:57.  This was roughly keeping the same pace as at the Trailway.  I succeeded in banking 2 hours ahead of 30-hour pace.  The question would be, could I hold it? 

Lake Winona

Leaving Lake Winona, I began climbing up towards Pink Flamingo at mile 39.  I started to feel dizzy again, but remembered from the Badger 100 that if I ran, I could shake it off.  I did that on some flats and downhills and it worked.

I felt good running a downhill bit towards Bahama Mama at mile 43. I noticed that from Lake Winona to Bahama Mama the course gains elevation overall, so there would be plenty of downhill on the way back.

At Bahama Mama

After leaving Bahama Mama, I got lost, which cost me about 8 minutes.  Finding my way back, I powerhiked at an easy rate up the grassy section of trail, trying to keep myself in good shape by the halfway point.  Then I ran a couple of miles as I approached Powerline at mile 48.

Leaving Powerline, I assessed my condition.  I was hiking at a 16-minute pace, still with a 2 hour cushion as I made it to mile 50. 

Mile 50

Night soon fell.  It got chilly, so I put on my cap, long sleeve shirt, and gloves.  The cold wasn't a major factor since I kept moving, just a bit uncomfortable.

After leaving Copper Road at mile 52, I felt woozy again and ran to wake myself up.

I made it to the turnaround at mile 57.9 in 14:13 elapsed.  

On the way back, trying to avoid the dizziness, I ran the big downhills from Bahama Mama, Club Flamingo, Pig Trail, to Lake Winona.  My legs held up to the pounding. I passed a lot of people and maintained the 2 hour cushion.  At each aid station, I got coffee to try to avoid sleepiness.  I never got really sleepy, just often woozy.  

I had major low right before Lake Winona, 85 miles in, and had to sit for 5 minutes or so at the aid station, eat some food,  and recover.  Still, the episode only cost about 10 minutes.

It had been mostly downhill for miles, but the next section to Electronic Tower gained in elevation.  

The sun came up around mile 90 as I approached Electronic tower.  I had been wishing for sunrise for hours.  

Sunrise at Mile 91 

By this time I had developed some blisters on my right foot. Still, leaving Electronic Tower at mile 91, I ran the downhills to Pumpkin Patch at 93.7 miles.

The last 6.6 miles were all downhill, but I just powerhiked the rocky trail at first, knowing I had plenty of time. There were a lot of puddles to go around. Then, passing the crossroads with a little over two miles to go, there was a long, smooth downhill section. Looking at my watch, I realized that if I ran two 13-minute miles, I could finish in under 28 hours.  I had been fighting to protect that 2-hour cushion. I knew this was a special race, so I should try to finish strong.  I ran a 11:05 minute mile.  Then, approaching the finish on the park road, I kept looking to see my car ahead, remembering I parked close to the finish line.  I had to walk a slight uphill, and then I saw the car.  I ran to the finish, the last mile being 12:40 pace.  I finished in 27:57.  I was 84th out of 126 finishers.


Approaching the Finish

Finish Line



Reflections

This was the best race I have ever run.  I ran a 3:41 marathon at Houston Marathon in 2012 when everything clicked, finished in the top half of the field at 2013 Bandera 100k, and ran a faster time of 26:01 at 2014 Rocky Raccoon 100 Mile.  But Arkansas was the best performance because I came closest to my potential at the 100-mile distance.  For example, this was a tougher course than Rocky Racoon, and at that race I lost probably 2 hours from sleep deprivation, lying on the ground.  I was a faster runner nearly ten years ago at Rocky, but I ran better to my abilities at Arkansas.  

I did have low points, but I dealt with them and kept moving.  My powerhiking pace was good.  I ran consistently throughout the race, not settling for an endless hike.  I had to...had I stopped running, I likely would have not made 30 hours.

The cool temperatures definitely helped.  Had it been hot, I might just barely made the cutoffs or not finished.

The race wasn't perfect.  I could have ran all of the last 6.6 miles if I had really wanted to and shaved some more time.  Had I been more diligent in my training, like running every step of a few 20 milers, I could have had a bit more endurance and improved the pace.  I did a little speedwork in training; more could have helped.

But overall, this race was like a dream come true: the beautiful Arkansas Traveller buckle, going sub-30 hours for a 100 for only the second time of my career, getting the Western States qualifier.

After the race, I showered, then struggled to drive to the hotel room in Little Rock.  I had major chills and could barely move. I recovered enough to visit the Clinton Presidential Library the next day.

The Clinton Presidential Library

As I write this, I am still on an emotional high from the race.  In ultrarunning, sometimes you fail, sometimes you slog to the finish.  But sometimes you achieve something you weren't sure was possible.     

The Arkansas Traveller 100 is a wonderful race: great course, great aid stations, great people.  Thanks to all who helped me finish: God, race director Stacey Shaver-Matson, the race organization, volunteers, friends Luke, Jamie, Jeremy, and Cesar, my wife Terri, and my kids James and Paloma.  

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment