Monday, June 1, 2020

2020 Double Dragon Virtual 50k

The Background

I was feeling a bit burned out.  13 marathons/ultras in a couple months - more than I had ever done in a year - plus the school year ended.  I was tired. 

I tried to run Saturday but my mind wasn't there.  Called it after six miles.  I tried again for Double Dragon, 3rd of the summer virtual series, on Sunday.

The Race

I plodded to 20  miles. After 20, I was feeling kind of mentally bad.  I decided to alternate walking and running loops of the 1.9 mile neighborhood course.  I could have run in in the last 5 miles or so to get in under 7 hours but I took it easier and finished in 7:19. 





Reflections

I had been obsessing over the virtual race leaderboard, where I was in third place.  This took some of he fun out of racing and made it seem more like work.  Plus, just wrapping up the school year led to some of the mental fatigue.

I'm going to not worry so much on my place on the leaderboard and focus on the races I'm signed up for: Unicorn, Blazing 7s 100, and Possums 69 miler.

Maybe I need some mini-breaks of like 2 or 3 weeks.

Regardless, it was a race finish and that always feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment