Sunday, April 19, 2020

2020 Crazy Desert Virtual 100k

The Background


I was rolling along pretty well with the virtual races.  I'd race about once a week (not super hard), then do a lot of walking and a little running in between.

The Race

I was signed up for both the Crazy Desert 100k and the Blazing 7s 100 Mile, so I figured I'd head out and see how far I could make it and hopefully finish one.

Wanting to get in some trail, I brought a cooler to Forest Oaks Park for loops around a little lake.  A side trail, traffic would be less than the main trail and the trail was wider, so I felt it was responsible during COVID-19.

I ran for 39 miles on the .56 mile loop.  I ran through 20, then took a walk break as I had the previous races.  At 23 I ran to marathon. After that, it was a very small amount of running and a lot of powerhiking.

Around 38 miles I hit a low, tired, dizzy.  Sitting down a couple times on the concrete, I tried to recharge.  I had planned to run the .7 miles back home then do loops around the neighborhood, as the park closes at night.  Thinking I need real food, I headed back around 4:30pm when Teri arrived to pick up the cooler.  At home, she made me a quesadilla.  I ate, headed out again, and still was woozy. I sat in a chair in the backyard, ate some chips, then slept for maybe 5-10 minutes.    Really wanting to quit, I decided to go back out.

At this point I was at around 42 miles and I came back to life.  Able to knock our 15-16 minute miles, I felt good and chipped away at it.

At 100k I decided today it would be Crazy Desert.  Half was that it was wise to put in the training before attempting 100 miles and half was I was tired. But it was a race finish.











Reflections

Apart from the low point, this was manageable.  Good mental training.  The next day I wasn't that sore.

When the results were posted on the TROT virtual races leaderboard, I was in 2nd place overall.   That makes me feel good.

These races mean a lot to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment