Monday, January 1, 2024

2024 Texas Marathon - Kingwood

The Background

9 days before, I had run the Texas Double Day 1, finishing in 4:29.  Originally, I was going to run Texas Marathon - Kingwood at an easy pace, as the main goal was to train for Bandera.  However, as I was running relatively fast for my abilities, I figured why not try to run a good time.

I like Texas Marathon - Kingwood because it is close, it is on a day I am off work, and it is good to start off the year with a marathon.  I used to worry it was too close to Bandera, but it seems like it works out.  After all, I ran Trailway 50k a week before running a good time at Arkansas Traveller 100 Mile.

The race starts at 8am. Since it is New Years Day morning, I told Terri to sleep in and had my kids arrive at the house around 10am.  That way they could maybe see my start the final of 4 loops but not have to get up early.

The Race

I wasn't sure of my game plan going into the race:  go out at sub-9-minute miles like at Texas Double, and try to hold on best I can, or go out slower and hope not to fade as much?

I ended up doing a bit of both.  I did start off the first 3 or 4 miles at a sub-9-minute pace.  But, deciding I did not want to endure such a rough second half as in the Texas Double, I slowed down to 9 or 10-minute miles in the first half.  

I reached half marathon in 2:04, but had to use the restroom which cost me another minute.  This was 6  minutes slower than the Texas Double.  

The second half I did slow to 10 or 11-minute miles, but the split was 2:25, as opposed to 2:31 at Texas Double.  My watch was malfunctioning, so I could not time the miles very well. I fought the temptation to walk.  Seeing Terri, James, and Paloma cheering for me as I started the final loop definitely helped. I ran every step of the race, and was not in as much pain for the second half as Texas Double.






Reflections

The slower first half and faster second half evened out, and I finished in 4:29 like at Texas Double, albeit a few seconds faster.  I definitely appreciated a little less pain.  I finished 26th out of 132 finishers (top 20%).

It was great that my family could be there.

Well, 2024 has begun, so what are some goals?

  • Get a Western States qualifier.
  • Finish a sub-30-hour 100 miler.
  • Finish Mohican 100 mile.
  • Get my 500k jacket at Bandera.
  • Finish a marathon under 4:29.
We'll see if any of the above happens, God willing. Thanks to God, Terri, my kids, my friends, the race organization, and the volunteers for the support!



No comments:

Post a Comment