Tuesday, November 24, 2020

2020 Possum King Virtual 50k

The Background

With Thanksgiving week off, I got in ten miles on Saturday and 10 miles on Sunday, broken up into short runs / hikes.  Feeling fitter and training for the Snowdrop 55 Hour Race, it was time to run the Possum King 50k at WG Jones State Forest.

The Race

The weather was cool and cloudy.  I made up my mind to run to 15. Figuring the best plan for Snowdrop is to run the first miles but switch to hiking before my legs get shot, 15 seemed a good number.  I ended up running to 20 and I did slow more than I would have liked: 18-19 minute miles.

Hiking the last 11, I was pretty at peace.  The work on spirituality is paying off in racing, I think.  I haven't felt the mental agony / panic I'd sometimes feel before in races.  

I could have run a few miles at the end but I have a marathon planned before the end of the break.  Plus, I want to log miles daily for Trans Texas so I figured I'd save my legs.

Reflections

Another race where I feel fitter.  Another peaceful race.  Up next is the Brontosaurus Marathon.




No comments:

Post a Comment