Sunday, August 4, 2024

2024 Colorado Bend 60k

The Background

I had finished the Capt'N Karl's Muleshoe Bend 60k in slower-than-hoped-for time.  I decided to add the next race in the series, Colorado Bend 60k, to the calendar three weeks later to try to improve the time and finish sub-11 hours.  Lately, I've enjoyed thinking about all the races I have finished more than once.  This would be an attempt at my 4th Colorado Bend.

Also, that Thursday I had dived back into work.  I knew from past experience that having a lot of work stress on my mind can mess with my head in races, such when I dropped from Cactus Rose in 2022 and Bandera in 2023.   Nothing was really wrong at work, but I knew I might be mentally fatigued at the start.

The Race

Sure enough, after the first 2 miles of the race, I started feeling anxiety and depression.  I remembered the previous drops, but I told myself there was no way I was dropping a Capt'N Karls: I had only dropped one of the many starts of the races, 2013 Pedernales due to stomach sickness.

I asked myself, "Okay, this is happening to me.  This is not good. What can I do?"  I answered that right now, I could powerhike and not give up.  Which is what I did.

Not having checked the weather report, I was unprepared when thunder and lightning rolled in. Then, at around mile 10, as the most challenging part of the race approached, the heavens opened, and the rain came down.  Not having brought a hat, I could barely see and worried about my contacts washing away.  As I entered a water-and-electrolytes-only aid station, I struggled to find the arrow that would lead me out the right way.

But it was not all that bad. The rain and wind cooled down the hot night.  And it really was quite thrilling to be alone in the woods, facing a thunderstorm at night. As I climbed a big hill, water streamed down from the opposite direction.  The mud did slow me down, especially as I traversed a technical field strewn with big rocks.

The rain only lasted an hour or so.  As I approached the end of the big lollipop and began to return on the out-and-back section to the start, I took stock.  It looked like I would finish the first loop in 5 hours and change, which meant I would have to move on the 2nd and final loop to avoid the cutoffs.  The last half mile was smooth trail, so I ran it, finishing the first loop in about 5:30.  This mean I could run the 2nd loop an hour slower and still finish, but time would be of the essence.

I pushed on.  Around mile 22, I passed a couple of people, chatting with one fellow Jonathan who was moving  quite well.  I ran several stretches, making good time. Sub-11 hours seemed a possibility.

With about 3 miles to go, I reached the final aid.  Jonathan popped out of the trail behind me.  At this point, I was way in the back of the pack and I could see that sub-11 hours was slipping away.  But I could try to compete and maintain my position in the field.  I make quick work of the aid station and got moving.

Then, with about 1.5 miles to go Jonathan again was on my heels.  I started running as  fast as I could on the rocky terrain with tired legs.  After crossing the finish line in 11:10, I waited for Jonathan, which was only like 3 minutes, and fist bumped him.  He was a really great competitor, and I was thankful for his motivation.



Reflections

So improving my time from Muleshoe Bend was not to be.  But I am really glad I ran this race because of the fun experience of the thunderstorm.  

I am proud that I still competed at the end of the race.  It would have been easy just to let myself get passed and hike it in, but I gave it what I could.

I was in the back of the pack, 13th out of 17 finishers.  But I was 13th out of 30 starters. 

Thanks to God, Perspective Pacing, PJ, all the volunteers, my running friends, Terri, James, Paloma, and all my extended family for the support!


No comments:

Post a Comment